Becoming a Good Food Nation – Scottish Government
The Scottish Food Commission states that making Scotland a Good Food Nation is a challenging task, however, if we all strive to achieve this common goal, the result will follow shortly.
2015 was the Year of Scotland Food and Drink and Scotland presents the world with undeniable high quality produce due to our clear waters, fresh air and rich soil.
The main question is; why when Scotland’s local products are so fresh and delicious is the nation’s health suffering?
Consequently, health is one of the core values outlined by Good Food Nation in addition to prosperity and sustainability. The main idea of the campaign is to significantly improve our food culture by 2025.
We summarised several steps set by Scottish Food Commission:
1. Educating consumers: making them interested in fresh and local food that is really good for them.
2. Motivating the public sector to be an example, as it has a huge influence. For instance, schools providing tasty and balanced meals for kids. It goes without saying that educational institutes are one of the most important targets as it might take a generation to alter the perception of healthy food and transfer ignorance to knowledge.
3. Making sure that people have easy access to good food. We can start this for ourselves and our families by focusing on eating a balanced diet. However, as more families eat outside of the home, the key would to make healthy food available in places like leisure centres, stadiums, and other family venues at an affordable price.
5. Supporting local food and drink businesses to make Scottish products even better!
6. Making food companies an appealing place to work by offering more work experience and apprenticeships.
7. Making the most of the campaign: promoting Scottish food and drink internationally, let it be one of the reasons to visit our beautiful country.
Let us know your thoughts and suggestions, we are always open for conversation @eatbalanced or get in touch with us!