Pizza Power Kids and Food for Life Award
We’re often asked how Pizza Power Kids fit with the Soil Association’s Food for Life Award? In terms of what we are actually trying to achieve, we have quite a lot in common with the Food for Life Award.
What are Eat Balanced trying to achieve with Pizza Power Kids?
It’s simple, we want to make it easier for kids to enjoy a balanced diet. How we do this is by reinventing kid’s favourite foods with innovative, high quality ingredients into tasty, nutritionally balanced meals.
What are the Soil Association trying to achieve with the Food for Life Award?
Making healthy, tasty and sustainable meals the norm for all to enjoy, reconnecting people with where their food comes from, teaching them how it’s grown and cooked, and championing the importance of well-sourced ingredients.
Pizza Power Kids and Food for Life
Despite being a prepared product, Pizza Power Kids carries a lot of benefits compared to making from scratch and other prepared pizzas, such as:
- Eat Balanced are a Scottish start-up based in Glasgow
- Our products are manufactured in Glasgow
- We work with a Professor of the University of Glasgow – Professor Mike Lean – to verify our recipes (which are lab tested to prove they are nutritionally balanced)
- Salt is replaced with a special powdered seaweed from the Isle of Lewis in Scotland
- They are low in sugar
- Psyllium husk is used for added fibre which means the base is lighter in colour and texture to wholewheat bases
- Roasted red pepper puree is blended into the sauce for added vitamin C and vitamin A
Our pizzas are suitable for the Bronze Food for Life Award being free from the undesirable additives, trans fats and GM ingredients.
For Silver and Gold, as they are points based standards, our pizzas also carry points under the making healthy eating easier category. This includes:
- Reducing salt
- Having meat free days
- Cutting plate waste
- Supporting eating well
- Monitoring against food and nutrient based standards
- 50% of bread on offer is wholegrain
We agree that the Food for Life programme achieves amazing results for schools, nurseries and hospitals and we’re delighted to be supporting the healthy eating message.